Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Current Events

I've been reading several newspapers a day lately, and the general theme I see is outrage. Outrage about the economy, outrage about politics, and outrage about sports figures. Regardless of what issue du jour, the outrage always boils down to what "our children's generation." The economy must be fixed for our children, we need change because our children deserve better, our kids need better role models. Our kids need more and better from the government.

The school districts here are pushing for more sex education. On the news the other day, a mom driving her 19 year old daughter to college brought up how much sex ed her daughter received in high school, and her daughter told her they were only taught abstinence. The mother was shocked and outraged that her daughter wasn't taught safe sex. While I agree that kids should learn about alternatives to abstinence in school, it's about time parents take some responsibility as well. If you don't talk about sex with your child until they are 19, the problem lies as much with you as the school. While I agree abstinence should be emphasized, let's be honest. Teenagers will have sex. It happens and while I don't personally condone it, I'd want my child to be as knowledgeable and protected as possible. That responsibility falls to me as a parent. Yes, it's embarrassing for both parties, but that's why you're the parent.

Another article I read spoke on the outrage parents are feeling about the Michael Phelps/pot and A-Rod/steroids issue. It made a point that the parents that are all outraged about this should take a long look at their kids. No child is so insulated that they are unaware of drugs, and the kids that the parents seek to protect no longer exist in this society. My problem with the outrage is that parents are looking to public figures to be the role model for their kids. When I was growing up, I didn't hope to emulate a sports star or an actress. I wanted to grow up and be successful like my parents. They were my role models. I think the fact that public figures are fallible makes a great conversation starter. It allows parents to show their kids that a) people make mistakes and b) drugs aren't the answer. Instead, these athletes are criticized for being human and not perfect.

I am not implying in any way that raising children is an easy task. I know it's daunting to have to teach and mold a child into an adult. However, asking others to raise your kids and not taking responsibility seems like a cop-out.

No comments: