Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Fans

Lately, I've been really irritated with not only the coaches of both Tiger football and Tiger basketball, but I've also been pissed at the fan base. While I don't believe that my teams will go through the season undefeated, I do feel like the last games that were lost were due to the stubbornness of the coaches rather then the superior gamesmanship of the other team. Relying on a QB that hasn't thrown a pass in a month due to injury isn't fair to him or the rest of the team. Playing a freshman shooting guard, even a highly touted one, the majority of the game when he can't hit a shot while pulling out players who are making shots because they make one defensive mistake is maddening to everyone. However, they are honestly good coaches and genuinely care about their players, so I'm not ready to jump on them to be fired.

The fans on the other hand I'm completely unwilling to cut any slack on. While I was disappointed in both losses, I realize that the world doesn't end. We are bowl eligible because we won 6 games. We qualify, and it doesn't matter that we only won half our games on a shitty schedule. It's money for the school. If we get invited to a bowl whose payout is $750,000, why would we not go? If the fanbase thinks it's too embarrassing to go to a bowl game, then they need to come up with the money to offset the loss. Forcing the football team to pick a lesser paying bowl bid because it doesn't conflict with a basketball game is unfair to the football players and the program. Come on. Who cares?! It's $750k!

I just hope tonight's game will play out better than last weeks. /rant

No comments: