Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cooking Week 3

So being a bit under the weather this weekend, we didn't do the cooking that we had weeks prior. However, we had so many leftovers from the previous week that we managed to eat all weekend and Monday as well. This is largely thanks to Jeremy though who threw together a broccoli chicken casserole at the last minute from some chicken that we had froze. It was very good.

We did manage to go grocery shopping on Monday night, and I did cook some this week. Last night, I made spaghetti with a twist. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and instead of making my sauce from scratch, I bought the jar sauces. However, I added about half a jar of alfredo to the meat sauce so it would be cheesier. It was very good. A friend and former coworker of mine would get her spaghetti like this from the cafeteria at work, and it is actually really good. It's like a 6 cheese marinara without all the work.

I think I'm going to make some cheddar broccoli soup tonight to eat the rest of the week. I've never tried to make it before, but I have this nifty immersion blender that I got as a wedding present that I've never gotten a chance to use. What better opportunity than this? If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe here.

So far, our eating at home experiment has worked out rather well. Even after a long day at work, neither one of us opts for fast food because we have food ready in the fridge. It's also working well because we allow ourselves to go out to eat once a week. Generally, we'll have leftovers so it's like 2 meals that we eat that aren't home cooked, and that gets us over the cravings.

No comments: